my sister’s one-day sister-in-law (i just know it!) tagged me in a facebook note, “end of year meme.” it would have been sooo easy to use the majority of her answers because, dude, it’s like she wrote them just for me! but, alas, she did not, so i’ve crafted my own responses just for you.
- what did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
was diagnosed with and treated for cancer
- did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
i don’t make them
- did anyone close to you give birth?
most recently, the greenes welcomed their twin girls
- did anyone close to you die?
i lost an old friend. he was a great man.
- what countries did you visit?
chemoland. it sucked.
walt disney world
- what would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
energy and hair
- what date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
june 12th, it was the last time i nursed my daughter before i started chemo
- what was your biggest achievement of the year?
resuming nursing after battling cancer
- what was your biggest failure?
having to stop nursing
yes, i realize that was beyond my control, but to me it felt like failure.
- did you suffer illness or injury?
- what was the best thing you bought?
our new house
- whose behavior merited celebration?
- whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
northern virginia’s drivers
- where did most of your money go?
our new house
- what did you get really, really, really excited about?
taking my daughter to disney for the first time
- what song will always remind you of 2008?
the hot dog song
- compared to this time last year, are you:
happier or sadder? happier
thinner or fatter? fatter
richer or poorer? poorer
- what do you wish you’d done more of?
crafted more homemade gifts
visited more friends
taken more photos and video of my family and friends
- what do you wish you’d done less of?
had less cancer
gained less weight
- how did you spend christmas?
at our new house with my husband’s parents, brother, sister-in-law, and my parents, grandparents, aunt & her family and her godparents & their family
- did you fall in love in 2008?
- how many one-night stands?
(seriously? this one i have to change to something more mommy blog- friendly)
- what was your favorite tv show?
- do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
hate? that’s much too strong of a word.
- what was the best book you read?
did i read any books? i know i started reading anthony bourdain’s the nasty bits, but i can’t even remember if i’ve finished it.
- what was your greatest musical discovery?
steve burns’ and the flaming lips’ steven drozd’s ” i hog the ground”
- what did you want and get?
to nurse my daughter again
- what did you want and not get?
- what was your favorite film of this year?
this is the last question i answered because, honestly, i can’t remember watching any movie in its entirety aside from charlie wilson’s war. so i guess that’s it. though if i’d had opportunity to watch the x-files: i want to believe, i’m sure that would have beat out charlie wilson.
- what did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
went to my birthday party, 35
- what one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
having more energy and less nausea after chemo
- how would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
- what kept you sane?
prozac and ativan
- which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
oh, how i love me some brit-brit. girl is a spectacular disaster!
- what political issue stirred you the most?
the presidential election, though that was more of a circus then an issue
- whom did you miss?
my friends from orlando
- who was the best new person you met?
my chemo nurse, danna
- tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008:
this is your life, right now. this is what you get. stop preparing for “someday” and start living it the way you want to now.
- quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
“it’s a brand new day, whatcha waitin’ for?”
- tag five people to post their answers to this 2008 wrap-up meme. please link back to this blog from yours.
motherhood and cancer
life with the moonhils
what changes did you make to “green up” your lifestyle?
collected more reusable shopping bags and got my mom in the habit of using them, too
started a compost pile
chose a tankless hot water heater for the new house